When we understand our relationship with Jesus Christ then we understand who we truly are.

When we understand our relationship with Jesus Christ then we understand who we truly are.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

My Florida Family's Miracle of Conversion


"Conversion includes a change in behavior, but it goes beyond behavior; it is a change in our very nature. It is such a significant change that the Lord and His prophets refer to it as a rebirth, a change of heart, and a baptism of fire." - LDS.org "Conversion" http://www.lds.org/topics/conversion?lang=eng&query=conversion
      D.J. Donato was baptized into the church in his youth but went less active along with his childhood family. He married his wife, Shannon, and had two children, ages 9 and 11, when we as missionaries first knocked on their door. The Donato family was attending Shannon's Presbyterian church when we met them and each time we went to their home, we always seemed to catch Shannon at home with the kids. She politely referred us to her husband since he was the member of our church and we always stopped at a time when Brother Donato wasn't at home or when their family was too busy. My companion and I had a special feeling about their family from the first time that we knocked on their door, but we couldn't do anything more than continue to stop by and try not to be too pesky. Imagine our surprise when they showed up unannounced to church, sitting in the pew behind us and dressed in their Sunday best. That initial visit to church sparked the reconversion of Brother Donato. He faithfully and fearlessly changed his life to align with church standards and experienced a mighty change of heart. In the process, he baptized his two children into the Church. He is currently serving in the Young Men's presidency of his ward and has been a beacon of strength and leadership in his ward.
      I know that the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ is real. I know that the Atonement of Christ is what gives people power to change their lives and their very natures. I absolutely know that the Lord puts missionaries in specific places for specific people and that I was called to the Jacksonville, Florida mission for THIS family. This gospel is true. I know that without a doubt and I have seen the power of the gospel forever change this family. Miracles DO happen and they happen in the Lord's timing. He knows what each of His children need and He places experiences and people in our lives to help us become who He wants us to be. I will forever love each member of the Donato family for helping me witness the redeeming and enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This is the testimony of D.J. Donato.
     "I believe my conversion experience started well before I actually came back to church. I, having been given a very prestigious role/promotion in my job, put myself on a pedestal and filled myself with a lot of pride. None of which I granted to the Lord, my achievements, I treated as if they were all my own. This new role allowed me to overlook my concerns at home and with that, focused all my efforts on work. Oddly enough, at the same time, the missionaries started visiting my house. My stress was through the roof and I was tired both emotionally and physically. I woke with coffee for breakfast, drank coffee after breakfast, followed up by a caffeine drink before lunch and more coffee after lunch. When I got home, I drank coffee with my wife. The current momentum that I was on would have surely landed me in the hospital before long. Still, the missionaries were dropping by. As my schedule would have it, I was not there to receive them and when my wife would mention their visit, I simply shrugged off the message. What I didn’t know, was that very shortly, the Lord would spiritually scream in my ear that I needed to slow down.
      One day as I was coming home late in the evening, I caught the missionaries on the way to their car from my house. As I stopped to greet them, I felt a sense of sadness that they were here yet again and I had missed them. To this day I remember my statement to them very clearly…. I replied to them, that I was sorry that I had missed them, that I just didn’t have a whole lot of time for it right now. That statement must have rang and shook the heavens the minute it left my mouth. For the following week, I was relieved of my duties at that current job. I immediately felt the spirit whisper to me, “Well, what are you waiting for, you have nothing but time now….”
      That Sunday I was in church, the following week, the missionaries were at my house giving us a lesson! What I take away from this experience is this: If we have a relationship with the Lord as I once did when I was a youth, you are part of his fold. Now, we ALL are his children, but it is something different when you come to Christ and take upon you the commitment to follow him and accept him. I feel personally when you do this; you are susceptible to the greater part of his love and also his tough love which he must extend to us to get us back on track-as I would relate to my kids when they act up. The track of course, is the one that we freely took, to follow him… but it is also one that has a boomerang affect if we so fall away. If we ignore promptings or in my case, the missionaries who were trying to deliver a message, I failed to heed the message in light of my own pride and objectives. The Lord needed my attention so he got it. My take? Don’t make the Lord yell in your ear to hear him, don’t wait until he brings you to your knees in anguishing prayer to recognize him as the head of all things and the center of your life. 
     I bear you my testimony, the Lord works in mysterious but loving ways. He reaches us in ways that he knows we will see his love and his hand. If we place him on the back burner after we have established a relationship, he will not forget us, he is always there and sometimes has to shake us to remind. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints contains the perfect keys to prepare us to return to our Heavenly Father-the missionaries are like Angels sent from heaven to watch over us and remind us of such a commitment. Through our focus on the Lord’s will for us, will we truly be happy. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment