When we understand our relationship with Jesus Christ then we understand who we truly are.

When we understand our relationship with Jesus Christ then we understand who we truly are.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

ONE YEAR in the Lord's Service

    
Celebrating our year mark with my MTC companion!
One year. 365 days. Oh how the time flies. I can scarcely believe that exactly one year ago I was putting on a nametag for the first time and stepping into the role of a full-time missionary. I had waited my entire 19 years to be a missionary and the day had finally arrived! My heart was pounding and my eyes were wet as I hugged my parents goodbye on the curbside of the Provo MTC yet I felt a rush of gratitude and excitement to be in this wonderous place that I had waited years to enter. The feelings that entered my heart as I clipped on that beautiful little black square nametag for the first time cannot be described. Every moment in the MTC was something that I had prepared for, hoped for, and dreamed of and I LOVED it more than anything in the world. Being a missionary and wearing the Savior's name each day is the pinnacle of my existence. But really. I have forgotten that real life existed before this and it seems that my 20 years on earth has consisted of area books, investigators, baptisms, and companions. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. When I entered the MTC one year ago, I never could have foreseen the incredible experiences, trials, moments, and people that I have grown to love with all my heart. There have surely been moments where I have dropped to my knees in prayer and desperation, but also countless experiences where I have felt complete happiness and joy. I HAVE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER and that happiness truly comes from losing myself in the service of God's precious children. When it all comes down to it, the most treasured things a missionary can take home are not things that can be seen. Those precious pearls are a testimony, relationships, memories, and life lessons. Here are some of my own life lessons that I have learned here in the sunny state of Florida this past year:

1. A mission is what you make it. The power to choose is real and you can choose to love it or hate it. Personally, I am in love with my mission and I never ever want to leave.
2. Love people with ALL your heart. As I look back and read my mission call, I think of the people that I have loved and realize they are the treasures of my service.
3. It really all does begin and end with the doctrine of Christ: faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
4. Daily adventures in the Book of Mormon are critical to real and lasting conversion.
5. There is NO greater joy than declaring repentance and watching people change and make covenants.
6. The ultimate purpose of life is to return to live with God, make covenants, and help everyone else get there too.
7. People need to be loved, trusted, and believed in.
8. There is no substitute for exact obedience, for using every moment of the Lord's time as perfectly as possible, and working hard.
9. The entire organization of the Church is centered around the ONE. Even the busiest of church leaders take time for the one because that is the way the Savior led people.
10. Communication is absolutely essential in loving companionship relationships. Selflessly serve, compromise often, and communicate openly. Love will abound.
11. We are sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is a message of happiness. If we are not happy, we are a walking contradiction.
12. Create a vision, prayerfully set goals, then make specific and timely plans and you will live up to your potential.
13. Do not doubt and expect mighty miracles.
14. Never judge. The outward appearance is most likely NOT reality.
15. The Lord looks on weakness different than He looks on rebellion. He looks at weakness with mercy and rebellion with justice.
16. Accountability is an eternal principle. We perform better when we are accountable for our actions.
17. Our goals guide our decisions and the way we use our time. When we don't have goals, we flail around wasting time. When we do have goals, we excel and come closer to God.
18. The enabling and redeeming power of the Atonement is REAL.
19. Personal spiritual preparation is key to personal revelation.
20. Information precedes revelation; it doesn't just drop out of the clear blue sky.
21. There is no secret know-all answer: we are all trying our very best and don't have things quite figured out. Leaders aren't perfect.
22. We help people most when they feel our love.
23. Striving to be completely consecrated to the Lord is one of my most treasured blessings. I LOVE wearing the Savior's name and being able to publicly represent Him!
24. Preparing throughout the week to take the sacrament is essential because that ordinance is so important.
25. Daily repentance and accountability to the Lord through audible prayer are crucial.
26. Discouragement and pride are two of Satan's most powerful tools.
27. Choose to do tough things first and love them and you will be happy.
28. Gratitude is not a list, it is an attitude. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude! It is a conscious choice.
29. How you look and what you wear does not matter - it's what is in your heart and the light that is in your eyes.
30. We are given weaknesses to be humble and they can be made strengths through the Atonement of Christ.
31. Write in your journal every day no matter what.
32. Telling people the answers to their questions is not as valuable as guiding them and letting them answer their own questions.
33. It is when we decide to put the needs of others above our own that we truly learn to love them.
34. It is okay not to be perfect. Mistakes are a part of the learning and growing process.
35. Without hard things, we would not progress and grow. God loves us enough to give us trials.
36. Nothing can be done without God. It isn't our own efforts that accomplish anything, it is God using our efforts to further His work.
37. Faith leads to action.
38. The central message of the Book of Mormon is to repent and come unto Christ.
39. Take every opportunity to testify. Fear and faith cannot coexist.
40. Being lovingly bold is forever better than being simply loving.
41. Verbal encouragement is essential.
42.  Agency is a central part of God's plan for us. As hard as it is to let people you love make their own choices, God loves us infinitely more and He lets us make our own decisions. We need to step back and let other people make their own choices too.
43. When we are faced with moments of overwhelm and testimony-shaking experiences, it is up to us to choose to rely on the Savior and deepen our own conversion.
44. Testimony is knowing the truth of a principle; conversion is living it every day.
45. Service overcomes selfishness.
46. Seek to understand, then to be understood.
47. A consecrated missionary gives every drop of passion to the Lord's work.
48. We progress by continually striving to do things that are uncomforable. If we are not progressing, we are not happy. Choose to do one new thing each day.
49. Talk to everyone. Every interaction can be turned into a missionary opportunity.
50. The Savior's Atonement is real and personal. Because of Him, ALL things are possible.

I have treasured each moment of my mission and I look forward to many, many more wonderful opportunities to serve the Lord here in Florida. There is absolutely nothing better than serving as one of the Lord's missionaries. Even the hardest of times have taught me life lessons that I wouldn't trade for anything. Each experience or culmination of experiences has helped me to learn things that have helped me become more compassionate, kind, and loving. I LOVE being a missionary and I treasure each moment that I have in the Lord's service. There is nothing better in the whole, wide world than being a full-time representative of Jesus Christ and being able to consecrate every moment and thought to Him. I love being a missionary. I never could have dreamed one year ago of the things that the Lord would require of me or the experiences that I would have, yet I know without a doubt that the Lord prepares us to perform miracles for Him. We are only tiny small hands in His work, but a pair of consecrated and dedicated hands are powerful instruments in the work of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment